Celebrating Frankie Knuckles | Eric Kupper Releases ‘The Director’s Cut Collection’
There are few people across the globe, who will have not been touched by the work of Frankie Knuckles. Forever regarded as ‘The Godfather of House’ for his unrivalled contribution to the house music we know today; what started as an underground movement in Chicago has grown to international heights thanks to Frankie. His records earned him recognition on a global scale, allowing him to work with some of the globes biggest names including the likes of Diana Ross, Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson.
Five years ago, Frankie passed away in Chicago on 31st March 2014 leaving behind one of the greatest house music legacies spanning almost four decades. Now he is commemorated by long time writing and production partner Eric Kupper. Eric, himself a seasoned DJ producer and writer, has worked on over 116 Billboard #1 Dance Records and played a pivotal role in a many of Frankie’s productions. Having both worked together for many years they established themselves at ‘Director’s Cut’ from 2011 and set about producing original releases and remixes based on the classic ‘Def Mix’ sound while sharing equal credits for their creations.
Together they re-produced and re-purpose classic cuts for modern dancefloors, with reworks including tracks from Marshall Jefferson, Inaya Day, Candi Staton, The Sunburst Band and Hardsoul, alongside Frankie Knuckles originals. These releases have now been brought together by Eric to feature on special album called ‘The Director’s Cut Collection’ on SoSure Music. It includes the Director’s Cut reworks of Frankie’s seminal record ‘Baby Wants To Ride’ with Jamie Principle (recently released on what would have been Frankie’s 64th Birthday back in January), along with Frankie’s first #1 single – ‘The Whistle Song’ on which Eric shares writing credits.
Within a multitude of classic reworks, highlights include The Director’s Cut and Kenny Summit ‘Re-Direction’ on Lou Rawls ‘You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine’; the last documented track that Frankie ever played, at his final show at The Ministry of Sound. And a previously unreleased version ofAshford & Simpson’s ‘Bourgie Bourgie’.
Other moments to look out for include Candi Station’s ‘Hallelujah Anyway’ and The Layabouts ‘Bring Me Joy’ alongside Spencer Parker and Dan Beaumont’s ‘The Look’, Sybil’s ‘Let Yourself Go’ andInaya Day’s ‘Lets Stay Home’; all receiving the Director’s Cut treatment.
‘The Director’s Cut Collection’ is a fitting tribute to commemorate the fifth anniversary of Frankie’s passing whilst giving Eric a platform to tell his side of the creative story. This album is released in collaboration with The Frankie Knuckles Foundation who work to continuing Frankie’s legacy well into the future.
1. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut – The Whistle Song (Re-Directed)
2. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. Jamie Principle – Your Love (Director’s Cut Signature Mix)
3. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. Jamie Principle – Baby Wants To Ride (Re-Directed)
4. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut starring Inaya Day – Let’s Stay Home (A Director’s Cut Classic Club Mix)
5. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. Jamie Principle – I’ll Take You There (Director’s Cut Classic Signature Mix)
6. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. B. Slade – Mighty Real (DJ Meme’s Mix Of Epic Proportions)
7. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. B. Slade – Get Over U (Director’s Cut Mix – Sami Dee Edit)
8. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. Sybil – Let Yourself Go (A Director’s Cut Master)
9. Peyton & Director’s Cut – Beautiful (Director’s Cut Classic Mix)
10. Kenny Summit & Director’s Cut pres. Yasmeen – Loving You (Original Mix)
1. Ashford + Simpson – Bourgie Bourgie (A Director’s Cut Exclusive)
2. Hardsoul feat. Ron Carroll – Back Together (Director’s Cut Remix)
3. The Layabouts feat. Portia Monique – Bring Me Joy (Director’s Cut Remix)
4. Spencer Parker & Dan Beaumont – The Look (Director’s Cut Signature Mix)
5. Candi Staton – Hallelujah Anyway (Director’s Cut Signature Praise)
6. The Sunburst Band – The Secret Life Of Us (Director’s Cut Signature Mix)
7. Soulful Session starring Lyn Lockamy – Hostile Takeover (Director’s Cut Remix)
8. Human Life – In It Together (Director’s Cut Signature Togetherness)
9. Artful & Ridney feat. Terri Walker – Missing You (‘Director’s Cut Tribute To FK’ Mix)
10. Lou Rawls – You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine (Kenny Summit, Frankie Knuckles & Eric Kupper Unreleased Anthem)
DJ MIX FROM ERIC KUPPER
Frankie Knuckles & Eric Kupper ‘The Director’s Cut Collection’ Second Vinyl will be released on 30th Aug. Digital / CD is OUT NOW via SoSure Music